Monday, June 2, 2008

Potato and Pea Curry (Aloo Matar)

I haven't posted any recipes for a while and I'm in a bit of a cooking frenzy today so I thought I'd share some tasty dishes. I have the day off work, and my back is a bit sore to do much sewing (or housework!), so I thought I'd cook up a few dishes to reheat over the next week for dinners.

So, on to Aloo Matar ....

You will need:

3 large potatoes, diced
1 large onion, chopped
Small can peas
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground chilli
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1 teaspoon salt
Good squeeze of lemon juice
Handful of roughly chopped fresh coriander
Vegetable Oil


Steam or microwave the chopped potatoes until just tender (about 6 mins in my microwave).

In a small bowl, mix the tomato paste, ground coriander, ground chilli, garam masala, garlic, tumeric, salt and lemon juice.

Heat enough oil in a large frying pan to be a couple milimetres deep, then fry the potatoes quickly to give them golden edges. Remove potatoes from pan.

If necessary, drain off a little oil to just leave a spoonful or so in the pan. Add the onions and cook until starting to brown. Add the tomato paste mixture and fry for a few minutes, stirring, to release the flavours. Add the peas and potatoes and heat through for a few minutes.

Stir through the fresh coriander and serve with rice.

No comments: