Sunday, March 29, 2009
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Last weekend I experimented with this idea - creating the look of window frosting using Epsom Salts and water! I have also found a few on the net involving Epsom Salts and beer but I didn't have any beer at the time, and if I had, I would have found a better use for it than smearing it on my windows.
And gee, it actually kind of worked! At first nothing happened, and I thought nothing would, but eventually, over the course of a couple of hours, patterns like feathers and ice crystals emerged. It was amazing to watch it gradually appear. And I recommend this to all as a wonderful experiment, or performance art on a boring day or something. You can just wash it off with water when you're done.
But it didn't really have the depth and opacity I needed - I think it would look better in small windows - over almost 2 square metres of windows it didn't look quite right. So I found this great product online and ordered some from New Zealand on Sunday and had it arrive today, Thursday. It is an adhesive plastic like school book covering, and is about as easy to apply and was really a bargain.
Here is the view, or lack of, from my bedroom window now! So I can have some privacy but get some light as well. I have only just put this on, so can't vouch for its longevity, but right now I am thrilled with this product!
Sunday, March 15, 2009
For the backing, I used some pink homsepun and some left over blocks, which I can't show too well here:
Saturday, March 7, 2009
Monday, March 2, 2009
How cute are the little pockets:
And the bag looks so cute when closed with its drawstring tie:
Thanks Rosalie, for the gorgeous bag, and for the fantastic effort toward raising funds for bushfire relief.
Sunday, March 1, 2009
I'm not sure how I am going to quilt it. It is a bit bigger than what I usually like to tackle. I was thinking of some simple hand quilting in contrasting crochet thread with big, over-sized stitches, to give it a really naive, home-made look.