Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Midweek Quickie - bookmarks

Alright, I confess, I didn't do any crafting this week. My weekend was spent mowing and doing other similarly not-fun but necessary chores. Considering the grass was dead and yellow a month ago, I shouldn't really complain now that we are getting rain, but seriously, how can a lawn grow half a foot in a week? I wish I could foster some of the poor animals living in the drought affected areas.

So anyway, in the interests of having a post, here are some bookmarks I made years ago. Both really quick.

The first was embroidered in star stitches on Aida cloth in variegated thread, so I got a shimmery effect without having to change colours. Plus the stitches were so quick as each asterisk-shaped stitch covered 2 x 2 squares. I glued it over cardboard with a plain fabric backing and made a twist cord out of leftover thread.


This one was my first and only attempt at ribbon embroidery. I don't know why I didn't do more of this because it was so quick and easy. The leaves and branch took no time at all as each was just a single stitch. The flowers were colonial knots in DMC thread so they didn't take much time either. Again, finished with cardboard for sturdiness and a twisted thread cord. (Don't look too closely at this pic cos this bookmark is a little dusty!)




No comments: